In 2014 we were contacted by Bianco Sale and were requested to meet the onsite Mechanical Contractor ISG Plc to inspect an operating theatre (Tissue Typing) unit at Guy's Hospital.
The unit was constantly in use during day time and cannot be shut down. The area was occupied 7 days a week. We were requested to offer a solution. Based on the nature and complexity of the job, we proposed that the unit needs to be refurbished instead of replaced. The approximate cost for unit replacement including temporary unit would have been £40,000 including site work.
Our Proposed Solution and Benefits
Following on from our inspection, we offered the following:
- Offered refurbishment option instead of replacement due to the logistics to remove old plant.
- Refurbishment not only increased the life span of the units but also avoided theatre shut down, cancellations of operations, major builders work, road closure and use of car park to store redundant plant.
- Replace clogged attenuators with new to help reduce the power consumption.
- Offered fans overhauling and shaft and drives alignment, to help reduce power consumption and noise.
- Rubbing down rusty surfaces and re-painting with anti-fungal paint to increase the life expectancy.
- Replace damaged damper to help reduce the power consumption of the motor and avoid tripping.
- Replacing filters gave better air quality in the area and reduced motor power consumption.
- Repair the floor and sealing of the leaks increased the quality of the air in the area and reduced fan speeds.
- Replace door seals to help the units achieve part L3 leakage regulations and make the units more efficient.
- Replace manometers to prompt maintenance team when to change the filters.
We have refurbished the units and carried out the above work during nights (out of hours) for less than a quarter of the price of the proposed new units.
Proposed Programme of Works